The following are the planned meeting dates for the PFLA Board. All meetings are in the Tea Room. Members are welcome to attend.
September 29, 2018 10:00 am
November 10, 2018 10:00 am
January 12, 2019 10:00 am
March 30, 2019 10:00 am
April 6, 2019 10:00 am
May 18, 2019 10:00 am (3rd Saturday)
June 22, 2019 8:00 am
June 22, 2019 10:00 am (Annual Meeting)
Let’s see who knows PFLA trivia or can bribe someone to find out!
We are kicking off a weekly trivia game.
Here is how it works:
- The weekly question will appear in the Spritz and also in the tearoom.
- You can email your answer(s) to PFLA.
- Answers can be submitted weekly, or at the end of the season.
- Each correct answer will be worth 1 point.
- Big Prizes (well that might be an exaggeration – but there will be prizes!)
- Week 1 Question: How many windows are there in Social Hall? (Do not include doors and count windows and not panes.)
- Week 2 Question: List cottages that are made predominantly of materials other than wood (ie stone, brick, stucco etc.)
- Week 3 Question: List members who are ministers.
- Week 4 Question: List members living in separate cottages that are blood relatives.
- Week 5 Question: List the names of married couples who met at PF. (They do not need to be members)
- Week 6: List members whose families have been coming to PF for 4 or more generations.
- Week 7: List members and offspring who are known by the name of one of the 12 disciples.
- Week 8: List the names of pet dogs and their owners.
- Week 9: List the names of members who are fluent in more than one language.
It was a rough winter and there are many trees down throughout the PF property, especially at the Falls. The Board will be working with the Property Committee to remove fallen trees that are necessary to keep the Association grounds safe and accessible. Trees fallen on individual lots are the responsibility of the member to remove. Please contact us if you have any questions.
Due to the extensive damage, we will be suspending Quiet Time this year in order for members to be able to make repairs to their homes and property’s from storm related damage.
Quiet Time will still be in effect on Sunday morning’s until 12 noon.
All are welcome to come to the second annual Wellness Weekend! This is a fun and relaxing weekend of meditation, yoga, clean food and good fellowship. There is no experience with yoga or meditation necessary.
The most important part of the weekend will be gathering together
and sharing our community.
If you are interested in coming:
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know you are interested (or if you have any questions).
We will get back to you with details.
You can come for any of the events over the weekend. Come and try meditation or yoga with us.
Here are the dates for the 2017 Fall Hunting Season. Please remember that we have members and guests who hunt on Paradise Falls property. Please respect their rights. Be careful walking in the wooded areas. Our committee highly recommend that you wear a fluorescent orange vest during hunting season, which in Pennsylvania is Monday through Saturday.
September 30-November 11, 2016
Muzzleloader and Special Firearms Season
October 28-November 11
November 18-November 22
November 27-December 9
December 26-January 13
The dates listed above are a guide to the members of Paradise Falls for their information, not as an Official Pennsylvania Hunting Guide.
View the August Spray. Here’s what is coming up:
- August 5 10 am Board Meeting
- August 5 5 pm Cocktails at the Bells
- August 12 11 am Lindholm Memorial Service
- August 12 7 pm Philadelphia Sketch Club art show
- August 19 10 am Paradise Stream/Broadhead Presentation
- August 19 7 pm Zion Concert
- August 27 5 pm Pizza at the Falls
- Sept. 2 Memorials through Music (stay tuned for more info)
- Sept. 3 Closing weekend events (more soon)
Next Board meeting is Saturday May 21 at 10 am in the Tea Room.
As a reminder, aside from attending meetings, the best way to contact the Board is by emailing
2017-18 PFLA Board Assignments
PRESIDENT – ROYAL OLSON
VICE PRESIDENT – STEVE WOODWARD
SECRETARY – CAROLE STUMPF
TREASURER – DAVID ZIMMERMAN
BEACH & RECREATION – BILL SIMOLIKE
COMMUNITY RELATIONS – RUSS HORN
ENVIRONMENTAL – PETE SOLLBERGER
FINANCE – JEFF GILBERT
HUINTING & FISHING – CY FRITZ
LONG RANGE PLANNING – STEVE WOODWARD / INGRID THRANOV-HOOVER
MEMBERSHIP/MARKETING – CAROLE STUMPF/BOB BELL
NOMINATING – STEVE WOODWARD / ROYAL OLSON
PERSONNEL/HUMAN RELATIONS – ROYAL OLSON
PROPERTY – CARL REINDL
RELIGIOUS ACTIVITIES – LINDA BECK
SECURITY & BUILDING – RUSS HORN
TEA ROOM – MIRIAM BAUERS
WEBSITE/COMMUNICATIONS – KRISTY KNABE
Over the past two years, with oversight from two PFLA boards, the attached revised PFLA Manual has been constructed and is ready for your review. The Manual has undergone significant updating, editing and reorganization for easier use and understanding, and to respond to changing needs. The pending Constitutional changes and approved By-Law changes from the 2015 meeting have been incorporated.
The draft Manual has been reviewed and approved by the Board of Directors.
Attached [sent to members, via email] is the complete draft Manual; a summary of the revisions to the Manual’s chapters beyond the Constitution and By-Laws: our two funds; PFLA Officers, Committee Functions and Responsibilities and Roles, and Rules and Regulations; and a proposed addition to the By-Laws, which will be on our Annual Meeting agenda for approval in June.
Please review the Manual and email or mail your written comments to Bill Fredrick (email@example.com; 35 Valley Road, Madison, NJ 07940) by noon, April 30. All comments must be in writing with the name of the commenting member clearly indicated. The Board of Directors will review and incorporate the comments appropriately and the final Manual will then be distributed to all.
This work is not completed yet, but I want to thank Bill Fredrick for his many hours of work and perseverance in this effort. I also want to thank the many directors and others that have donated their time during the past two years while we have been working on these documents.
Paradise Falls Lutheran Association
Spring has sprung. PF’ers will be spending more time outdoors taking walks, working around cottages, cleaning up after the winter. According to several articles, many surrounding states are predicting an unusually high tick population.
In the case of the deer tick and Lyme disease, prevention is much easier than the treatment. The problem is that Lyme disease is not easily detected because it mimics so many other diseases. Lyme disease is not the only disease spread by ticks.
Spray with a product that contains 20 to 30% Deet or spray your clothes with a product containing Permethrin, such as a product called Sawyer, obtainable at Cabela’s Bass Pro Shop and at Dunkelberger’s. It is important that Sawyer is sprayed on your clothes and then let dry before wearing them. This product is good for 4 to 6 washes before the need to reapply. PLEASE READ THE DIRECTIONS before using any product containing Deet or Permethrin.
To Avoid Ticks:
– Wear light-colored clothing.
– Tuck your pants into your socks.
– Tuck your shirt into your pants.
– Wear a hat.
– Spray your shoes, socks, belt-line, collar and hat with Deet or a Permethrin-containing tick repellent, not the skin.
– Do a tick check after walking in high-risk areas.
– Put any clothes that might have live ticks on them into a hot dryer for ten minutes to kill all insects.
Keep Your Family Safe! Do Tick Checks!
Chairperson, Hunting & Fishing Committee